Each year, the Declaration of Independence Center sponsors a number of student Freedom Fellows. Fellows work to promote an academic campus culture that encourages reflection on the meaning, value, and legacy of American freedom. Each Freedom Fellow
- receives a $3000 stipend for the academic year;
- participates in the American Freedom and Community reading group;
- works with other Fellows to organize an annual student conference;
- shares his or her perspective with other students, faculty, and administrators in an official capacity (participating in a student panel, writing a letter to the editor, serving on an university committee, etc.)
To apply to be an Freedom Fellow for the 2021-2022 school year, please provide answers to the following prompts and email them to Dr. Steven Skultety (email@example.com) or the Declaration of Independence Center (firstname.lastname@example.org) by October 1, 2021.
Application for 2021-2022
Current major and minor:
Anticipated graduation date:
Please answer each of the following questions:
- What would make you a particularly effective student advocate for encouraging reflection on the meaning, value, and legacy of American freedom at the University of Mississippi?
- Do you have any experience participating in student organizations whose mission is similar to that of the Declaration of Independence Center?
- Describe your general level of academic success at the University of Mississippi. In addition, describe what you consider to be your most important academic achievements as a student.
- Freedom Fellows are expected to spend 3-5 hours a week on activities related to the fellowship. Explain how serving as a Fellow would, or would not, interfere with your other commitments during the academic year.